Monday, August 8, 2011

Hope

As I unpack boxes and put things on the walls, I think about the new students that I will have sitting in my room. For them they are all in a new school, 7th grade is new for all of them.

They have to learn how to unlock a locker quickly so as not be late to class.

They have to learn the rules of 7 different teachers, instead of just one.

They go from being the top of the pack to the lowest on the totem pole.

The expectations are raised for them.

But they are still just kids, and this a new year, full of new dreams and worries. They will still worry about who likes them, what they look like, and if they are accepted.

I don't know about you, but with a new school year there is this sense of hope that surrounds those first days. The hope that everything will be different this year, that something will change and your life will finally start. There is this hope that this is the year that starts it all.

I still have hope, I have hope for them that this year will change them, alter them forever, that they will fall in love with learning and reading. A hope that they will figure out another piece of the puzzle in their life, a hope that the picture might become clearer.

This hope excites me for those first days, and the ones beyond too.

What do you hope for your students?

2 comments:

  1. First, I thought this said "Home," rather than "Hope." So my hope is that I can learn to read. Second, I think you rock. Clearly someone loves her students! Third, my hope is that I can help my kids love to learn and not grow bored during the year! Also, that I will be more patient and nurturing to my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you rock, Lauren. Home, would have been a good thing to write about as well.

    ReplyDelete