Sunday, April 10, 2011

Encouragement

This week, we had our state reading assessment. It was long exhausting week. I don't know why watching them take tests is so exhausting but it is. I worked hard to make sure they went into the test with full confidence and encouragement. However, at the end of the week, I was still restless over scores and over a feeling of failure that I just hadn't done enough.

As we finished up the week, one of the office staff that I developed a good relationship, shared with me some positive words that someone had said about me. She took me aside and related the conversation to me.

I don't know why she felt compelled to do that, but on a Friday afternoon after a long week of testing, those words meant so much to me, I nearly broke down in tears. You know when positive things are said about you to someone else, it means so much more. It was words that weren't asked for it, it was not a solicited compliment or feedback.

It wasn't expected, so it means a lot and I can take it to heart and let prompt me to continue on with what I am doing. I can remember that encouragement when I feel like I am teaching to brick walls, or when it is like pulling teeth to get the students to participate or to buy into what I am doing. I can remember that encouragement when they just won't be quiet or everyone insists that they can't wait to use the restroom.

It's the little things sometimes that make me love what I do.

What are the little things for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment