Saturday, April 30, 2011

A New Day

This week was....well.....sucky for a lack of a better word. There is probably a better word, but I don't want to type it. This week was hard. I have reached a point in the year where I am mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted. I am pretty sure the kids thought we wouldn't do anything after assessments. They were wrong, and I think they are upset about the fact they were wrong. It's beautiful outside and they have to sit in a stuffy classroom, listening to me and reading a book and writing. The squirmy kids are really "loving" it!

I write this mostly to encourage myself. Hopefully you can benefit as well!!

I had some not so good moments with the kids. Mostly because I have gotten frustrated with their attitudes and behaviors. I forget that I can't expect them to age overnight. They are middle schoolers and they are going to have their moments.

BUT something I love about them is the fact that one day they can hate you and decide that you have the worst class ever. They can be convinced that you hate them and want to make their life miserable. THEN the next day, they love you and don't want to leave your classroom. They want to give you hugs and draw you pictures.

Every day is a new day. Everyday I get to start over with them. Just as they have forgotten about the homework that you assigned yesterday, they have forgotten how mad you made them or the detention you gave them. They quickly forget that you made their life miserable. And all of a sudden, they are eager to participate in the conversation and are concerned about their grade.

And now it is the weekend, and next week is a whole new week, full of possibility and free of mistakes, blank and ready to be lived and taught.

So note to self: Just remember that last weeks' mistakes are last weeks mistakes, don't let them hang over your head. Just as the kids don't let it bother them, learn from them and move on.

So readers, got any great words of wisdom along this line of thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment